LAMKA, Aug. 21, 2026 — The Kuki Human Rights Council has condemned the resumption of public transport services on National Highway-2 between Imphal and Dimapur, calling it undemocratic, unconstitutional and an imposition of state power on a wounded and divided population.
In a press release, the council said the resumption announced on Aug. 21 was “not peace, but forced peace.” It alleged that the move was presented as a return to normalcy while Kuki people continued to live in relief camps and justice remained pending for ethnic cleansing that began in May 2023.
The council rejected claims by the Indian and Manipur governments that 125 passengers traveled through Kuki-majority Kangpokpi and Naga-dominated Senapati without incident.
It said there was no incident because the entire highway had been sanitized and militarized, while Meitei civilians were escorted under heavy security provided by Indian security forces through Kuki ancestral land.
The council questioned how the state could facilitate and guard one community’s passage through its territory while Kuki communities remained displaced.
It said the action was directed not only against the Kuki tribe but also against tribal communities in India and against the foundations of liberal democracy.
It further said sending tourists through tribal land, tribal autonomy and tribal safety were being treated as secondary to a majoritarian agenda.
The council said the governments’ call to “forgive and forget the past” could not be forced on victims while alleged perpetrators remained free and were rewarded with safe passage.
It said true peace could be achieved only through political justice, separation and respect for tribal land and rights.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Comments not related to the topic will be removed immediately.