New Delhi, Dec 19, 2012 (IANS): "Nobody is safe here," the Delhi High Court remarked Wednesday as it took suo moto notice of a woman's gang-rape in a bus and told Delhi Police to file a report by Friday.
The Delhi government informed the court that a Special Investigation Team (SIT) had been set up to investigate the crime to be headed by Deputy Commissioner of Police Chhaya Sharma.
The court asked the SIT to file a status report within two days.
Chief Justice D. Murugesan and Justice Rajiv Sahai Endlaw also directed the government and the police commissioner that investigations "must be of high standard" and concluded "as expeditiously as possible".
Justice Murugesan observed: "Nobody is safe here, it's repeatedly seen in Delhi."
The bench also directed the Delhi government to provide the best possible medical facilities to the victim and her male friend who were attacked in the bus Sunday night.
"Provide best possible treatment to the victim and her friend, shift her to (the) best private hospital if required. And if transfer from hospital is not possible, bring in the best doctor for her," the bench said.
Advocate Najmi Waziri, standing counsel of the Delhi government, told the court that the "woman is in critical condition and the best possible treatment would be given to her".
"If transfer to another hospital is required, we would bring the best doctor to her. We have promised the girl's family best medical treatment for her," the advocate said.
The bench said it would monitor the case, and asked Police Commissioner Neeraj Kumar to revert in two days, detailing the names of police officers deployed at checkposts on the night of the incident.
The bus was driven around the city for 40 minutes Sunday night while the rapists committed the crime.
Delhi's standing counsel Pawan Sharma said four of the accused had been arrested, adding police had gone to Bihar and Uttar Pradesh in search of two others.
Sharma said police were set to file a chargesheet within a month.
The court observed: "It is the duty of the police to ensure that such incidents do not happen. What was the police force doing while the offenders roamed (the) city streets for 40 minutes?"
The court said it would issue guidelines to be followed in such cases.
The bench pulled up the police for not taking precautions earlier.
"The police commissioner is directed to comply with the Supreme Court order for removing tinted film from vehicles, including public transport systems," the court said.
Waziri told the court that officers faced problems in implementing the Supreme Court order as vehicles from other states had tinted windows.
The bench directed police perosnnel at border checkposts to ensure that no such vehicle entered the city.
Justice Murugesan said Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit had proposed five fast-tack courts to deal with rape cases. The judge said the proposal was immediately accepted.
He added, however, that unless investigation was conducted properly and witnesses produced during trial, even fast-track courts would not serve any purpose.
|
Home » womens issue » Nobody safe in Delhi, says anguished court
Nobody safe in Delhi, says anguished court
Recent Posts
-
Based on the results of the Civil Services (Main) Examination 2025, conducted by the Union Public Service Commission (UPSC) from 22nd August...
-
GOVERNMENT OF MANIPUR DIRECTORATE: TRANSPORT DEPARTMENT NOTIFICATION Imphal, the 14th May, 2026 No. M-TPT/89/2023-DoTPT-DT: It is hereb...
-
The 10th General Assembly of the Pambei-led United National Liberation Front (UNLF) concluded successfully between 28 and 30 July, 2025. The...
-
Gloria Gangte, a 2000 batch Indian Foreign Service (IFS) officer, is presently India's High Commissioner to Malta. She has been appointe...
-
Assocham Ladies League Honors 36 Women Across India Alana Golmei & Yishey Doma Bhutia. Pic: Bruce K. Thangkhal . TWO prominent women fro...
-
The Unique Coffin Ministry of Mizoram PERCHED atop rocky mountains, Mizoram offers breathtaking landscapes that are mesmerizing to tra...
-
"Recalling sacrifices made by its dedicated youths for the cause of Hmar movement, the Hmar community observed 𝗠𝗮𝗿𝘁𝘆𝗿'𝘀 𝗗𝗮...
-
STEPPING back into Aizawl after twenty-five years felt like waking up in a dream. Standing on a corner in Bawngkawn on a sunny March day in ...
-
14 Kuki civilians from Taphou and Hengbung remain unaccounted for amid the ongoing hostage crisis in Senapati. The names shown in the image,...
Popular Posts
-
--- Viewers discretion is advised ---
-
March 14, 2025: A statement by 𝐈𝐧𝐝𝐢𝐚 𝐅𝐨𝐫 𝐌𝐲𝐚𝐧𝐦𝐚𝐫 has highlighted the worsening plight of Myanmar refugees in India, who face ...
-
THE ZOMIS are one of the branches of Mongolian stock allied to the Tibetan Burmans and whose stories dates back to 2,000 BC. These people ...
-
Pic: Manipuri by Blood (Facebook) 𝗛𝗲𝗿𝗲 𝗶𝘀 𝗮 𝗹𝗶𝘀𝘁 𝗼𝗳 𝗔𝗿𝗮𝗺𝗯𝗮𝗶 𝗧𝗲𝗻𝗴𝗴𝗼𝗹 (𝗔𝗧) 𝘂𝗻𝗶𝘁𝘀: 𝗜. 𝗜𝗺𝗽𝗵𝗮𝗹 𝗘𝗮𝘀𝘁...
-
Based on the results of the Civil Services (Main) Examination 2025, conducted by the Union Public Service Commission (UPSC) from 22nd August...
-
KUKI STUDENTS' ORGANISATION, DELHI & NCR Education Department NOTIFICATION It is hereby notified that the University of Delhi has an...
-
Reproduced by: World Kuki-Zo Intellectual Council (WKZIC), updated on Sept. 6, 2024, 12:12 PM, IST@ WKZIC-GHQ. Amazon.in https://www.amazon....
-
Manipur Territorial Army Recruitment November lha leh um ding. 1.Churachandpur, Tengnoupal, Kangpokpi, Pherzawl leh Chandel district ho Tuib...
-
The 23 July 2022 (For Educational purpose & various Social Organisations in the state) ________________ By: DR TS HAOKIP Chairman, Kuki ...


No comments:
Post a Comment
Comments not related to the topic will be removed immediately.